RODMORE FARM HISTORY
Information from James Family of Rodmore Farm
1294 House established at Rodmore - Ralph Hathaway requested permission to build a chapel.

1316-1317 Ralph died. House succeeded to William.  Nothing further disclosed until 1572 when
William Warren  died, owning extensive estates at St. Briavels, incuding William's.

1572 Tomb in St. Briavels church remains in south aisle, but was in chancel until 1861.  It is to
him, and his wife Mary Warren's lands divided among three daughters.  Rodmore farm went to
Margaret, who married Thomas of Soilwell, of Lydney.

1572-1700 Rodmore Farm owned by James family of Soilwell, lived at Soilwell Manor, land
presumably had a tenant at Rodmore, but they continued to be buried in family vault in St. Briavels
church.

1629 The estate induded Rodmore mill and an iron forge was built nearby, as was the conebrook
about 1630.

1713 Rodmore farm, but probably not the mill and the forge, belonged to Mr. Ford.

1732 Owned byWilliam Ford.

1791 Owned by Thomas James, leased to Thomas L'Vans ,  probably the same T.L'Vans who then
owned Willsbury Farm.

1840 Rodmore Farm, with 205 acres, owned by Thomas James, leased to Beauford Pheips, then
included a field called Orveal Hathaway and Hathaway Barn, presumably named for medieval
owners.

1864 Willsbury purchased.

c1885 Death of Thomas James, owner of Rodmore and Wilisbury Farms 1892 William James,
son of Thomas, sold estate to Walter Bontley Marting of Clanna House, who bought a numberof
farms in St. Briavels and adjoining parishes.

1919-1920 Break-up of Clanna estate - farm sold.
Counter